TITLE: ILC - Independent Living Specialist
DESCRIPTION: This position will coordinate independent living skills, evaluations and training for persons with disabilities. To assist in the personal adjustment of an individual's disability and maximize community participation.
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for people with disabilities.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits, such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicare, etc.
- Coordinate and/or perform independent living skills, counseling and training.
- Provide counseling to persons with disabilities and family members for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives, and values, utilizing personal and/or professional background.
- Intervene, at the request of the consumer, in crisis situations between consumer and service programs.
- Coordinate and conduct home and building architectural barrier consultation utilizing federal and state guidelines on disabilities.
- Identify to consumer housing options to enable the consumer to compare a variety of living arrangements and provide other necessary assistance to aid individuals in securing suitable living arrangements.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the supervision of the Director of Independent Living Services.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor's Degree, or equivalency.
- Two (2) year degree related to human services, with work experience related to same.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of, academic credentials.
- Must have a working knowledge of persons with disabilities and federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a Scent-Free Agency.
SALARY RANGE: $31,000 to $35,000
CLOSING DATE: May 12, 2021
RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214