EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
TITLE: Independent Living and HCBS Peer Specialist - ILNC
DESCRIPTION: Provide peer support for individuals with Psychiatric (Mental Health) and other disabilities in the community. Coordinate independent living skill building. Assist individuals with disabilities in maximizing their community participation. This position is based in Niagara Falls.
- Coordinate and/or perform independent living skills, counseling and training.
- Provide counseling to individuals with disabilities and family members for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives and values utilizing personal and/or professional background.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicaid, etc.
- Assist individuals in advocating for themselves within their services and community.
- Work with individuals in developing Independent Living Plans, creating a Person-Centered Plan, and a WRAP Plan.
- Provide companionship and modeling of recovery lifestyles, including participation in recovery activities.
- Assist individuals in selecting and utilizing the things that bring a sense of passion, purpose and meaning into their lives. Provide coaching as they identify barriers to engaging in these activities.
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for individuals with disabilities.
- Assist individuals in completion of a Quality of Life Self-Assessment.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s EHR database/Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of the Director of Independent Living of Niagara County.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field, and (one) 1 year work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness; or an Associate’s Degree in the above fields with two (2) years related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness; or a High School Diploma with four (4) years related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
Must have received New York Care Coordination Person-Centered Planning training. Must enroll and complete Peer Specialist Certification through Academy of Peer Services within the 6-month introductory period.
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials. Applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services and willing to share personal, lived experience with mental health challenges.
Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, or the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all the counties WNYIL operates.
Niagara County residents encouraged to apply.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent free agency.
SALARY RANGE: $32,000- $35,000
CLOSING DATE: October 22, 2019
RESUME AND APPLICATION TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214