JOB TITLE: Open Doors Transition Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living Center (ILC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Independent Living Services (ILS)
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Assist individuals in re-entry from institutional settings to the community. Facilitate and coordinate, for individuals residing in institutions, a comprehensive plan to re-enter the community.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive referrals from the Open Doors Coordinator and ensures the community re-entry process is followed through for each consumer.
- Provide counseling and information for individuals and families who are considering, or are in the process of, re-entry into the community.
- Coordinate visits to institutions, provides potential participants with unbiased information regarding available home and community-based services, participates in discharge planning and coordinates with other relevant social services agencies involved in the discharge and transition-care of the consumer.
- Develop and facilitates person-centered plans effective for the 90-day transition period, secures qualified housing, coordinates home and community-based services during the transition period and subsequently ensures continuation of services after the 90-day transition period is completed.
- Collaborate with the consumer, social worker and other supports to determine barriers to community re-entry.
- Assist in addressing barriers related to medical conditions or counseling needs.
- Ensure all significant consumer data and service provision details are current and accurate and that they are documented in a timely manner into WNYIL’s electronic consumer record (ECR) as well as the contracted providers’ databases.
- Assist in recruiting Peers to provide support to individuals who are in the process of community re-entry.
- Promote the Good Neighbor program for additional community supports.
- Attend Agency trainings and department meetings, as well as any other Agency-related activated.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate Degree related to Human Services
Bachelor’s Degree related to Human Services
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Working knowledge of issues faced by persons of all ages who are in need of long-term care services, particularly with those related to nursing home transition.
- Firm understanding of Medicaid eligibility and coverage, as well as 1915© Medicaid waivers.
- Associate degree requires three (3) years of relevant experiencing working with community-based, long-term care projects; or working with other comparable work experience in a private setting.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possess a deep commitment to person-centered planning and consumer choice.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
- Possess excellent written, oral and organizational skills.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/ Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $34,000 - $38,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: October 21, 2021
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214