TITLE: Independent Living Specialist OAHIIO
DESCRIPTION: Conduct outreach services focused on advocacy, independent living skills training, information and referral, and peer counseling to Native Americans with disabilities in the Western New York area.
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations.
- Provide independent living skills counseling and training.
- Assist in securing and maintaining all entitlements such as public assistance benefits, Medicaid/Medicare, vocational rehabilitation, Social Security benefits, and any other relevant services.
- Provide peer counseling to persons with disabilities and family members, utilizing experiential and/or professional background.
- Intervene in crisis situations between individuals with disabilities and service programs.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s SPR database, as well as the Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the supervision of the Director OAHIIO.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: An Associate’s Degree is preferred. Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials. Candidates must possess a knowledge base of Native American culture and be culturally competent with an understanding of the unique values and beliefs held within local Native communities. Candidate should possess personal and/or professional experience with disabilities. Must have basic computer skills. A reliable vehicle with a New York State driver’s license is also required, or the ability to successfully use public transportation to meet consumer needs. Buffalo Metropolitan area residents encouraged to apply.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent free agency.
SALARY RANGE: $29,000 - $34,000
CLOSING DATE: February 11, 2019
SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214