TITLE: MHPC - Peer Support Specialist: Renewal Center (PT)
DESCRIPTION: Work within the Renewal Center, serving guests of the living space, in overcoming immediate, emotional crisis, of which may alternatively result in emergency room visits.
- To connect, engage, and orient guests to the Renewal Center.
- Utilize motivational interviewing and intentional peer support in meeting the needs of the guests.
- Introduce coping techniques which de-escalate crisis through assisting in developing WRAP and/or WHAM plans of intervention.
- Assist the Qualified Health Professionals in obtaining a basic medical assessment.
- Work with guests in preventing future crisis through referrals to agencies the guests choose.
- Make appropriate referrals to the Assistant Director of MHPC for long-term crisis situations, such as housing, government benefits, and employment.
- Perform light maintenance of the Renewal Center, to uphold an environment that meets the high standards of our guests.
- Accurately document consumers’ services and required paperwork in Electronic Consumer Record database within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of Director of Mental Health PEER Connection.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess:
- Bachelor Degree in Social Work, Rehabilitation Counseling, Psychology, or Related Human Services field and (1) one-year work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness;
- Associate Degree in the above fields with two (2) years’ related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness;
- High School Diploma or equivalent with four (4) years’ related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
- Education and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in vocational services, disability services, business, personnel management, mental health or social service, counseling needed.
- Within six (6) months of being hired, must be certified as a NYS Certified Peer Specialist – Provisional.
- Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, and the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all of the counties WNYIL, Inc. operates.
- Professional and life-experience may be considered in lieu of full or part academic credentials.
- Must have received NY Care coordination person-centered planning training.
- Applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services.
WNY Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable Accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
WNY Independent Living, Inc. is a Scent-Free Agency.
SALARY RANGE: $17.00/hr. to $18.00/hr.
CLOSING DATE: April 8, 2021
COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214