JOB TITLE: Olmstead Housing Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living Center
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Independent Living Services
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Assist the individuals seeking eligibility for housing subsidy to transition from institutional setting to the community. Work as part of a coordinated Independent Living service team.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify housing opportunities for individuals who are in need of housing in order to leave a nursing home, as well as for those who have unstable housing after leaving a nursing home.
- Assist eligible Olmstead Housing Subsidy (OHS) participants through all steps necessary for enrollment, including filling out housing applications, obtaining household goods and/or support for moving expenses, arranging unit inspections, etc.
- Work with applicants and/or his/her Transition Specialist, Service Coordinator (SC), Nursing Home Discharge Planner, Care Manager (CM), natural supports, or advocate in order to ensure that a support services plan is in place for program enrollment.
- Conduct follow-up after subsidy is initiated, including but not limited to, verifying occupancy of unit and continued eligibility for program.
- Work to identify landlords, public housing, and private housing in the region which may be suitable for individuals enrolled in the OHS program in the future.
- Maintain a list of available housing in the region, including degree of accessibility, location, proximity to services, and rental costs.
- Track and report on all activities using the New York Association on Independent Living (NYAIL) statewide project database.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s the Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate Degree in Human Resources/Services or related field
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources/Services or related field
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Professional experience in housing, community organizing, Independent Living, long term care, and/or disability rights strongly preferred.
- Associate degree requires two (2) years of work experience related to Human Resources/Services.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Must have reliable transportation and the ability to travel independently throughout Erie, Niagara, Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming Counties.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/ Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $35,000 - $40,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
CLOSING DATE: August 59, 2021
RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214