The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Carry and use a hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick, to protect yourself, co-workers and others.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- If you experience flu-like symptoms and have traveled to areas of concern or have been in contact with somebody who has, call ahead to your health care provider before going in to get instructions on how to proceed.
- Keep your immune system strong by getting enough sleep, eating well and taking medications as prescribed.
- It is not too late to get a flu shot.
How it is Transmitted
- The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person by coughing or sneezing.
- It may be possible for a person to become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.
- Contact with fecal matter from an infected person may also transmit the virus.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19.
Link to County Websites
NY State Information