JOB TITLE: Independent Living Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living of Niagara County (ILNC)
LOCATION: Niagara Falls, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Assistant Director, ILNC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
This position will coordinate independent living skills, evaluations and training for persons with disabilities. To assist in the personal adjustment of an individual’s disability and maximize community participation.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for people with disabilities.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and / or maintaining benefits, such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicare, etc.
- Document which services were requested and received by individual consumers.
- Provide Independent Living (IL) Core services: Peer counseling, Advocacy, Independent Living Skills Training, Transition supports, and information and referral.
- Coordinate and / or perform independent living skills, counseling and training. Assist participants in developing Independent Living skills (i.e. mobility & orientation, cooking, cleaning, daily household chores, shopping etc.)
- Assist consumers in the development of an Independent Living Plan (ILP). Document the development and achievement of IL goals selected by individuals.
- Provide education and support to family members of individuals with disabilities.
- Provide assistance to obtain specialized devices and equipment such as wheelchairs and lifts, assistive technology and equipment.
- Intervene, at the request of the consumer, in crisis situations between consumer and service programs.
- Coordinate and conduct home and building architectural barrier consultation utilizing federal and state guidelines on disabilities.
- Identify to consumer housing options to enable the consumer to compare a variety of living arrangements and provide other necessary assistance to aid individuals in securing suitable living arrangements.
- Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as instructed.
- Participate in outreach events, coordinate and schedule face to face / electronic / phone visits with consumers based on consumer preference.
- Assure accurate and timely documentation of consumer services and required paperwork in Western New York Independent Living, Inc’s (WNYIL’s) Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) database and assure that this task is completed within two (2) working days of the date of service.
- Return calls within 24-hours and emails within 48-hours.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate Degree in Human Services or related field
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Must have experience related to disability services.
- Must have working knowledge of persons with disabilities and state and federal laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have reliable transportation in order to work independently throughout Niagara County.
- Niagara County residents are encouraged to apply.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week. M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $35,000 - $40,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: October 3, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214