JOB TITLE: Registered Nurse (RN)
DEPARTMENT: Renewal Center, Mental Health PEER Connection (MPHC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Program Manager, Renewal Center
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Work as part of the peer team in offering services to support those in crisis who may otherwise utilize Hospital Psychiatric Emergency Department services.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote and express Independent Living (IL) philosophy, including the principles of psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery.
- Provide responsive, person-centered, peer-driven, services congruent with the values, and mission of the Mental Health PEER Connection and the Renewal Center.
- Conduct a Risk Assessment for each guest to determine the appropriateness of diversion services. Each guest will be offered to have their vitals taken and results will be explained in a meaningful, comprehensible manner to the individual.
- Attempt to engage each guest and strategically gather information about the level to which the individual is attending to medical and / or mental health needs, taking advantage of opportunities to educate guests regarding wellness and resources as appropriate.
- Visually assess each guest for any concerning physical / mental health symptoms and will initate appropriate dialogue and referral as desired by the individual.
- Collaborate with the Peer Specialist team in deciding whether an Emergency Department (ED) assessment or ambulance is recommended.
- Keep abreast and attend trainings of best practices and community resources relating to health and wellness, medications and side effects and other trends as they related to the profession and role.
- Work directly with Renewal Center guests to engage, assess, educate and refer as needed / desired services or resources.
- Document all consumer activity within two (2) working days of the provision of services within Western New York Independent Living, Inc.’s (WNYIL’s) Electronic Consumer Record (ECR).
- Should a guest be deemed inappropriate for the Renewal Center, work with the person to identify alternative, available and appropriate resources accessible to the individual.
- Should the Risk Assessment determine an ED assessment is recommended, and the guest agrees, work as a team to liaison between the emergency services, the guest and ED as appropriate.
- Work as part of the team to perform Continuous Quality Improvement analysis and modifications, as needed develop new forms, assessments and other materials related to the role.
- Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as required.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Possess and maintain valid certification as a Registered Nurse.
- Successful completion of online Relias training as assigned by supervisor.
- Completion of Academy of Peer Services Peer Specialist Training within first six (6) months of employment.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Knowledge of customer operated and peer recovery programs; ability to employ principles of recovery.
- Knowledge of cultural competence and ability to demonstrate sensitivity to working with customers from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Working knowledge of the mental health and physical health service delivery system.
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with Federal, State and local regulations and funding / contractual requirements.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to administer and interpret Risk Assessment and triage appropriately.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement regarding medical and mental health interventions and provide clear feedback to guests’ verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Ability to assertively advocate for individuals and negotiate with service providers.
- Ability to establish trusting supportive relationships with guests that are formed within the context of Agency philosophy.
- Ability to listen and demonstrate understanding and empathy and act in crisis de-escalation as needed.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills, time management and organizational skills.
- Must have intermediate computer skills including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Office / Renewal Center
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 21 hours per week.
Sun - Tues 4:30 - 11 p.m., Wed 4:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and openness to provide RN coverage when needed.
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, hourly, Professional staff.
Rate: $41.30 per hour.
BENEFITS: Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: February 7, 2023
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214