JOB TITLE: Independent Living Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living Center (ILC)
Location: Buffalo, NY
Direct Supervisor: Director, of Independent Living Services (ILS)
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
This position will coordinate independent living skills, evaluations and training for persons with disabilities. To assist in the personal adjustment of an individual's disability and maximize community participation.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for people with disabilities.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and / or maintaining benefits, such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicare, etc.
- Coordinate and/or perform independent living skills, counseling and training.
- Provide counseling to persons with disabilities and family members for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives, and values, utilizing personal and/or professional background.
- Intervene, at the request of the consumer, in crisis situations between consumer and service programs.
- Coordinate and conduct home and building architectural barrier consultation utilizing federal and state guidelines on disabilities.
- Identify to consumer housing options to enable the consumer to compare a variety of living arrangements and provide other necessary assistance to aid individuals in securing suitable living arrangements.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate Degree in Human Services or related field
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Must have experience related to the human resources / services field.
- Must have a working knowledge of persons with disabilities and federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have reliable transportation in order to work independently throughout Erie County.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 22.5 hours per week. Monday - Friday.
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $17 - $19 / hr.
BENEFITS: Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program.
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: December 28, 2021
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214