For those who are wearing washable protective masks as protection against the COVID-19 virus, here are some instructions on proper wear and care.
- Wash daily: Masks should be washed after each use. For example, if you’re going to the grocery store, it should be washed upon returning home and before going out next. Ideally, you should toss your mask into your washing machine or laundry after each use.
- Use warm water: When washing a face mask, you want to be sure to kill any germs, so temperature matters. Use a warm setting to remove bacteria and viruses without weakening the fabric. Your regular laundry detergent is fine.
- Be careful how you dry: If your mask has elastic loops, you should air-dry so that these loops do not get damaged. If you have cloth ties, these can be dried on a regular cycle in the dryer.
- Hand-wash if you have to.
How to Wear Cloth Face Coverings
Cloth face coverings should--
- fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- be secured with ties or ear loops
- include multiple layers of fabric
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
How does one safely remove a used cloth face covering?
Individuals should be careful not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when removing their cloth face covering and wash hands immediately after removing.