JOB TITLE: NY Connects Independent Living Outreach Specialist
DEPARTMENT: NY Connects Program
LOCATION: Buffalo, N.Y.
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: NY Connects Region 1 Coordinator
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Will work with the NY Connects Team in participating county(s) to connect aging or disabled individuals and their families, particularly the Seneca Nation of Indians, to establish support programs, critical pathways providers to help facilitate access to needed home and community-based supports and services and streamline access to public benefits and application assistance.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in collaboration with the Specialized NY Connects standards to assist aging people with disabilities and their caregivers.
- Provide unbiased information and assistance and screen for NY Connects contacts, including walk-ins and off-site visits.
- Work with the Seneca Nation Area Office of Aging to schedule a conference room or confidential meeting space for each in-person meeting held on territory, not taking place within an individual’s home.
- Implement and adhere to the Administration of Community Living (ACL) National Standard on Options Counseling.
- Provide barrier-free access to services that accommodates people with special needs and access for individuals who speak languages other than English.
- Work collaboratively with the Seneca Nation Area Office for the Aging in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding.
- Assist in identifying new resources to be included in the NY Connects Long-Term Support Services (LTSS) Resource Directory.
- Participate in all necessary cross-agency trainings and document all attendances with NY Connects Region 1 Coordinator.
- Learn and utilize the screen to collect prescribed information to link individuals and caregivers to appropriate resources and services.
- Collaborate with critical pathways to support transitions and linkages to long-term services and supports upon discharge.
- Complete applications and eligibility determination, as well as tracking the outcomes on a monthly basis, or as required by New York State Office For The Aging (NYSOFA).
- Attend NY Connects staff, Long Term Care Council (LTCC) and No Wrong Door (NWD) meetings.
- Deliver the public education campaign that as been developed and approved by the state.
- Responsible for reporting all consumer activity, certifications and trainings, outreach activities and meeting attendance.
- Accurately document consumer services in Peer Place, as well as Western New York Independent Living, Inc’s (WNYIL Inc.’s) Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) within two (2) working days of the date of service.
- Utilize technology for reporting, referrals, tracking and accessing resources and coordinate three-way phone calls for a warm transfer.
- Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other Agency-related activities as required.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Within four (4) weeks of completion of orientation, the candidate must complete training and participate in the state-mandated Information and Assistance Training.
- Upon completion of orientation, the candidate must complete training and participate in the state-mandated Person-Centered Assistance / Options Counseling training when offered by NYSOFA.
Associate degree related to human services
Bachelor’s degree related to human services
Professional and life-experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Candidates must possess a knowledge base of Native American culture and be culturally competent with an understanding of the unique values and beliefs held within local Native communities.
- Candidate should be familiar with the Seneca Nation and the services they offer.
- Work experience related to human services is required.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
- Selected candidate should possess knowledge of persons with disabilities, as well as federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to travel independently throughout Erie, Niagara and Cattaraugus Counties.
- Ability to work independently at WNYIL, Inc., NY Connects and off-site visits to provide seamless coordination of services.
- Understanding or ability to learn resources in the delivery systems for aging and populations with disabilities and how to connect to consumers to more intensive services.
- Must demonstrate collaboration with the Seneca Nation.
- The ability to learn about Medicaid, Medicare, pooled trusts, and other financial resources that may be a barrier or need to obtain services.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, good organization, and analytical skills.
- A desire to advocate for the rights of others is essential.
- Erie County residents are encouraged to apply.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week. M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, professional staff.
Range: $35,000 - $40,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday packages.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free Agency.
Closing date: March 7, 2024
Cover letter and resume required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214