JOB TITLE: Peer Support Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health PEER Connection (MHPC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Assistant Director, MHPC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
To provide peer support to individuals, with lived mental health experiences through positive self-disclosure, to assist in obtaining their goals related to Independent Living, vocations and improve Quality of Life.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with individuals in developing Independent Living Plans, creating Person-Centered Plans and Wellness Recovery Action Plans (WRAP).
- Assist individuals with mental illness complete a Quality of Life Self-Assessment.
- Educate and assist individuals with developing Psychiatric Advance Directives (PADs) when necessary.
- Support individuals in learning how to live in the community in a healthy manner.
- Provide advocacy when dealing with medical or mental health personnel, housing, independent living skills, benefits advisement, peer support, information and referral, and mobility training.
- Assess benefit forms for each individual served.
- Provide rapid employment techniques and skills needed to mental health recipients to assist in finding employment.
- Provide peer counseling to recipients of mental health services.
- Facilitate weekly peer support self-help meeting regarding quality of life concerns.
- Provide mobility training and services.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork to Western New York Independent Living, Inc. (WNYIL’s) Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) within two (2) working days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Candidate must be a certified NYS Certified Peer Specialist / Provisional, within one (1) year of being hired.
High school diploma or equivalency
Associate Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology or related human services field.
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology or related human services field.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
High school diploma or equivalency requires four (4) years’ related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
Associate degree requires two (2) years’ related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
Bachelor’s degree requires one (1) year of work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to type thirty-five (35) words per minute.
- Applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services.
- Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, or the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all the counties WNYIL operates.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $32,000 - $35,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: July 22, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214