JOB TITLE: Person Centered Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Taking Control Program, Veteran Directed Care (VDC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Taking Control Program
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Person Centered Counselor (PCC) will provide direct support to Veterans in assessing and budgeting to meet determined needs. PCC will work with the local VA Medical Center to ensure approval and monitoring of established budgets. PCC will perform ongoing services to the Veteran to ensure continued appropriate utilization of VDC benefits. PCC will also provide backup support to the Taking Control CDPAS Consumer Administrator functions as assigned by Director.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to Veteran Directed Care referrals within next working day and establish face-to-face intake appointment to take place within 10 days.
- Complete face-to-face intake appointment and functional needs assessment within ten (10) days, again at six (6) months post-intake, and annually thereafter with Veteran/Representative. This requires travel to the Veteran’s residence (or agreed upon location).
- Document all contacts in Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) within two working days.
- Collaborate with PA Specialists for onboarding the Veteran’s selected Personal Assistant(s).
- Provide instruction to Veteran on the nature of the VDC program and provide referral to any additional Western NY Independent Living, Inc. (WNYIL) services at any of the locations for support to the Veteran.
- Work with the Veteran face-to-face to develop a budget for goods and services consistent with functional needs assessment and consistent with VDC Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Submit initial Spending Plan (budget and supporting documentation) to Director for review. Make amendments to Spending Plan as necessary to meet VAMC review and Veteran’s needs. Complete Spending Plans with the Veteran annually. Submit all Spending Plans and amendments to Director for review.
- Provide monthly documented contacts to Veteran/Representative. Provide quarterly face-to-face documented contacts to Veteran. Provide feedback on over or under utilization of goods and services according to monthly authorized Spending Plan.
- Create Risk Mitigation plan with Veteran/Representative as necessary and in accordance with VDC Policies & Procedures.
- Create Action Plan with Veteran/Representative if Veteran is demonstrating overspending/overutilization of goods and services according to monthly budget of annual authorized Spending Plan.
- Attend any VA in-service trainings as directed by Director.
- Provide outreach and information to the community to describe the Taking Control VDC program to Veterans and other community members.
- Person Centered Counselor is expected to support all consumers in the Taking Control Department (CDPAS and VDC) and will learn the role of Consumer Administrator as a backup function as necessary and assigned by Director.
Tasks will include:
• Requesting authorizations from payor
• Monitoring utilization (over/under) and communicating with Taking Control CDPAS consumers
• Checking Medicaid eligibility
• Performing intake process
• Collaborate with PA Specialists for onboarding the CDPAS Consumer’s selected Personal Assistant(s)
- Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as required.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate degree in Human Services or related field
Bachelor's degree in Human Services or related field
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Must have experience with providing instruction on budgeting to others.
- Veterans who meet skills requirements preferred.
- Individuals who have work experience supporting Veterans preferred.
- Understanding of military/veteran cultural competence preferred.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to travel independently throughout Erie, Niagara, Genesee, Livingston, Orleans and Wyoming Counties. Expansion of the program may include other counties in the Western NY/Central NY regions.
- Person Centered Counselor is expected to travel (with mileage compensation) to meet the Veterans’ needs.
- Must be able to conduct functional needs assessments.
- Must have competence and proficiency in math skills, and monitoring and adjusting budgets.
- Strong communication skills (verbally and written) and follow up.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week. M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $48,000 – $50,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: September 28, 2023
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214