JOB TITLE: ECMC Outpatient Clinics Peer Support Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health PEER Connection (MHPC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director of MHPC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Provide Recovery and Advocacy support services to individuals with Substance Abuse Disorders being treated at Erie County Medical Center’s (ECMC’s) Outpatient Clinics.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide peer recovery advocacy, to patients, due to substance use, who are referred to by ECMC Outpatient Clinics.
- Meet individual’s receiving services at ECMC’s Outpatient Clinics and inform them about recovery and resources available to them.
- Provide Peer counseling to ECMC Outpatient Clinics clients, in an effort for those individuals to make informed decisions regarding their recovery.
- Be a liaison with ECMC’s Outpatient Clinics Clients’ family / significant others and community providers in linking individuals to proper supports in the community.
- Provide the peer perspective to individuals being served and staff at ECMC Outpatient Clinics.
- Communicate and collaborate with ECMC Outpatient Clinic Staff the activities being done with the individuals being served.
- Empower individual’s being served to make fully informed decisions.
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary treatment team.
- Must be available to work during weekday evening hours.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in ECMC’s Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) within 24 hours of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Must be a New York Certified Recovery Peer Advocate.
- Life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
Associate degree in Human Services
Bachelor’s degree in Human Services
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
Associate degree requires three (3) years’ experience working in Human Services or must have two (2) years paid experience working as a peer in a Peer Run Agency.
Bachelor’s degree requires one (1) year experience working in a Human Services setting.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to type at least 35 word per minute.
- Candidate must have a reliable transportation in order to travel independently throughout Erie County.
- Former substance use individuals in substantial recovery are encouraged to apply.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week. M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $37,000 - $41,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: October 24, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214